Thursday, November 13, 2008

KidBiz3000.


My fourth grade students started using the online non-fiction reading program called KidBiz3000 yesterday. It's a website in which students access with a username and password. They receive a current news article in their mailbox by the teacher. The article is tailored to each child's specific reading level (which is determined with a reading pre-assessment). They are then required to reply back to the teacher by answering a question that is related to the article. After they reply, they then read the article and complete a few tasks, which inlude a quick multiple choice activity, a short response, and a class poll. The students also have the option of playing various games, completing a math activity, reading funny jokes, and solving puzzles. This is all conducted within the website which students can access from any computer. Pretty neat stuff!

The school complex that I work in purchased the program for each elementary school at the beginning of the year (as a three year contract). We tried implementing KidBiz3000 at the beginning of the year, but the company's servers weren't ready to handle our large school population, so there were many bugs to work out.

Another neat feature for teachers and administrators (although it could also be a downfall) is that teachers have complete access to student behaviors within the program. I am able to check whether each of my students has completed all tasks, when exactly they completed each individual task, and at what level they completed the task. Students also have the option to e-mail each other (as this time, I have that feature disabled though) and I am able to view all e-mails that are being sent to all students.

Our technology department, after countless hours of communication with the company, felt the program was ready at the beginning of the second quarter. So my grade level and I decided to give KidBiz3000 article assignments as homework. They have to complete all tasks with in a two week period. We're taking this new venture really slow, because, as teachers, we're not sure what to expect from the students. I think, later in the year, we'll assign articles to be completed in a shorter amount of time.

As I previously stated, my students started their first article last night for homework. I haven't checked my mailbox yet to read any student replies, but I'm really excited to do so! I love the endless possiblities of integrating technology into the classroom and I'll definitely give anything a try. I'll keep my blog updated as we continue with KidBiz3000.

No comments: