Monday, November 10, 2008

Require teachers to work without pay? I don't think so.

Star Bulletin (Nov. 7, 2008): DOE pitches 6-day closure to cut spending

Our faithful superintendent, Pat Hamamoto, proposes that the DOE require employees to work for four days for free in order to save money next year. A boss should never suggest that his or her employees work for free. That is horrible work ethic.

Another proposal is to take away all teacher work days, rather, professional development days. Not only are we already facing a loss of professional development (workshops, guest speakers, conferences, etc.) due to budget cuts, but now we might lose our only days in which we can have professional development. How does the DOE expect us to improve our quality of teaching if they take away our time to make those improvements?

What made me laugh hysterically was that Pat Hamamoto said that her favorite plan was the "work for free" plan. Because we should dedicate our time to helping our students whether we get paid or not. I'm all for helping my students succeed, but I need to be able to afford my bills first if I'm going to direct my attention towards my students.

I'm eager to see how this plays out with the union and fellow educators. Might we have another strike on our hands...?

No comments: